Tuesday, June 4, 2013

To tie-dye or not to tie-dye?


When I discovered that tie-dye was making a comeback for spring/summer, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. My first thought was 'oh god no'; I remember wearing brightly coloured tie-dye t-shirts as a child and only ever looking back with regret. My second thought was that surely only the sartorially challenged would go for tie-dye. However, my opinion has changed. I've found some tie-dye items that actually look really cool and that I'm tempted to add to my wardrobe.

I think the key with tie-dye is to wear it right and choose colours that will look good. I'm not a fan of the rainbow-coloured tie-dye items as I feel that those are the types of clothes we wore back in the 90s - and, for me at least, when I was a kid.

I've thrown together a tie-dye mood board with my favourite finds from internet fashion sites. Tie-dye can look subtle and sophisticated, so the thing to remember is to keep the colour scheme to one or two colours and to avoid garish colour palettes.


There are some trends that should be left in the decades they first surfaced - this was my original thought on tie-dye, but I'm now thinking that tie-dye and summer will go hand-in-hand perfectly this year. It was a major part of Versace's catwalk event showcasing their S/S 2013 collection, so we can't argue with what such fashion powerhouses dictate. Tie-dye doesn't have to mean dressing hippy-esque and certainly shouldn't be confined to just festivals. It's a throwback, but one I feel we can embrace. My verdict: to tie-dye.

- A.T.


No comments:

Post a Comment