Thursday, May 16, 2013

Seeking Inspiration from America's Leading Ladies


After I handed in my dissertation last month, I surprised myself when I didn't automatically resign to the 'I never want to think about that topic again' attitude. Instead, I am more intrigued than ever about the First Ladies of the United States and how each one approached the position.

I tackled the question 'what makes a successful First Lady?', and found the answer to be a First Lady who works to break down the traditional gendered barriers of the role. I couldn't have focused on better examples - Eleanor Roosevelt, Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama. They all broke the rules - or in Michelle's case, are still breaking - and it paid off. By rules, I mean the Victorian sensibility that the title of 'First Lady' exhumes: confinement to the domestic sphere, hostessing, and a career consisting of mothering (a bit outdated now, perhaps?).

For daring to break the rules, I believe we have a lot to learn from these three women that we can apply to our own lives. They are the exception rather than the rule - you need only to look at Barbara Bush as an example to see how the majority of First Ladies didn't contest the gendered restraints, and, put simply, went with the flow. 

I want to share with you the most valuable lessons that I picked up when studying Roosevelt, Clinton and Obama, in order to inspire you the way that I was inspired.

1. Being different is good - don't be a sheep

I think this can be applied to how we approach so many situations in our lives, especially in terms of career. For example, when starting a new job, just because you are following in someone's footsteps doesn't mean you have to do everything the same. Bring something new to the job - you'll likely stand out for it. This doesn't mean going against your daily duties, but do bring some variety to the way you approach them - even being the most cheerful person on the job can achieve this!

2. Having ambition will help you succeed

Have a vision of what you want to do, and work hard to achieve it. Roosevelt, Clinton and Obama all approached their tenure as First Lady knowing that they wanted to make a lasting impact on American society, and they went to great lengths to achieve such. I do believe that if you really want something, it is within your power to achieve it. Don't sit back and wonder why nothing is coming to you; go out there and find those opportunities.

3. Don't be put off by criticism

Everyone is different, but for a lot of people criticism can dampen the self-esteem massively. Whether it's labeled 'constructive criticism' or not, it can eat away at self-confidence. Roosevelt, Clinton and Obama all received masses of criticism for going against the traditional role of First Lady and out-stepping the boundaries, but it didn't stop them. What I learnt? Have a goal, and ignore negative comments. Feedback is most welcome, but when it aims to derail your positive mindset, it can be damaging. So, the next time you are put-down or criticised for something, remember Eleanor Roosevelt's words: "There is no question about it. All criticism is entirely permissible."

4. Help others as well as yourself

As valuable as it is to have ambition and drive, don't do so at the expense of others. That is, help others along the way. Offer friends advice when they need it; share interview tips with colleagues. Generosity will speak a lot about you as a person and that could be one of the things that people remember about you. Roosevelt carved a space for women in journalism when it was a traditionally male-dominated industry, and this is one of the most memorable things about her time as First Lady.

5. Inspire others

At present day, women are increasingly at the forefront in the workplace, so it is in our interest to do things that will inspire others, perhaps future generations. Be brave, but be considerate. Show that you care about the people around you, whether at home or at work - this will reflect onto the people around you and you'll be respected for it.

6. Smile. 

I have already mentioned smiling, but I feel this is so important that it should get its own bullet point! Smiling can make you seem warm, friendly and approachable, which is what you want in life. There's nothing worse than giving off the 'my day sucks' vibe with pursed lips. Aim to keep positive and you'll find yourself smiling a whole lot more. For me, the first thing I notice about someone is their smile, and often it's what I remember.


I think the greatest lesson here is to follow your dreams; these three women did, so why can't we?

- A.T.